- letters from Moineddin
February 26, 1978
Four days after Moineddin’s Address to the Jamiat Khas, he wrote out an agenda, or script, for a meeting of the JK that was chaired by Fatima. Remember he’s receiving dialysis at this time.
AGENDA FOR JAMIAT KHAS 2/26/78
TOWARD THE ONE, THE PERFECTION OF LOVE, HARMONY AND BEAUTY, THE ONLY BEING, UNITED WITH ALL THE ILLUMINATED SOULS WHO FORM THE EMBODIMENT OF THE MASTER, THE SPIRIT OF GUIDANCE. (Repeat three times)
BIMILLAH ER-RAHMAN ER-RAHIM, WE BEGIN IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, MOST MERCIFUL AND COMPASSIONATE.
- Fatima lead group in saying the Gayatri, Pir, Nabi and Rassoul.
- Lessons from Hazrat Inayat Khan and Murshid Samuel Lewis:
TASSAWUF. To a spiritual being even the burden of the whole world is light to lift, but the self of a material person is a burden too heavy to lift. Therefore Krishna was named Giridara, the Lifter of Mountains. (H.I.K.)
NASIHAT. Mother’s love, father’s protection brother’s support, and sister’s syspathy, all these are to be found in one Murshid. (H.I.K.)
TASSAWUF. The merit of the Murshid comes in the success of pupils and not in his own success. (S.A.M.)
TASSAWUF. The calmness of the teacher is his greatest virtue. (S.A.M.)
EXCERPTS FROM FANA-FI-RASSOUL. “It is not to be supposed that Rassoul desires to hold himself back, for even Christ has said, ‘Come to me all ye that are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest.’” “The Sufism of the day is founded upon the work of five Pirs, namely Moineddin Chisti, Abdul Kadir-i-Jilani, Omar ibn Shahabuddin Sohrawardi and the Pir Nakshiband. They formulated the various schools of Sufism with their different emphasis on different aspects of development; then Inayat Khan came and assimilated all the teachings and brought them to the West, so he may be regarded as the Pir of the West althought he was born in India.” “The old Buddhism will go and in its place will be the dharma that Buddha taught, whereby not through philosophical denial of self, but living as if the self and another were not separate and watching oneself every moment of one’s life to prove this—this will ultimately take its place. But instead of it being a monastic discipline and teaching, it will be related to the everyday life of the new civilization and nothing that has ever been offered or revealed to mankind will thus be lost.” “The whole life of Jesus Christ shows progress from stage to stage in fana; he did not attain the full baka until after he had left the body and had resurrection. It was his willingness to forego bliss which stands as an outstanding merit of his.”
FROM FANA-FI-MOHAMMED PAPERS. “If I did not equal Jesus, at least I cannot be blamed for not trying to emulate him, and if I did not emulate him in act, at least my heart was trying to make me like him and Moses and Abraham, upon whom be God’s everlasting peace and blessing.”
- Joe Miller initiate Sitara as a Naqiba, and read Murshid’s definition of same. [Was this the definition given on page 317 of the book Murshid, “that a naqib is one who acts as an external spokesman for the mystical brotherhoods”? (from the Lotus and the Universe, by Samuel L. Lewis) I don’t know. If someone present would tell me, it would be appreciated.] However, Moineddin wishes to stress that in Sitara’s case the designation of Naqiba more aptly refers to her maqam as a woman dervish—and Murshid’s definition may or may not play a prominent role in her activities. It should be noted that the title of Naqib is usually associated with the 9thdegree (Sufi), and in some cases the 10thdegree (equivalent to Sheikh or Khalif). In this case the advancement is to the 10thdegree.
- Moineddin’s Addresss to the Jamiat Khas (read by Joe Miller) [This Address was printed in its entirely prior to this posting.
- General discussion, chaired by Fatima.
You will all be doing Moineddin, Murshid, Hazrat Inayat Khan and Allah the greatest favor if you will not hold back in your discussion as to our mutual future. This is not the time for reserve or eneffective selflessness. This is the beginning of a new cycle of God’s work. Please act as if your Murshid were present at this gathering, for indeed he is present, and the power and love of Allah he is sharing with us every istant if only we listen.
God bless you, and Ya Fatah!
- Joe Miller to close the meeting as he sees fit.